Canada's National Disaster Mitigation Strategy
The Government of Canada, together with provincial and territorial governments, launched Canada's National Disaster Mitigation Strategy on January 9, 2008.
This Strategy is based on the recognition by federal, provincial, and territorial governments that mitigation is an important part of a robust emergency management framework, and that all stakeholders are committed to working together to support disaster mitigation in Canada.
Background informationPublic Safety Canada engaged in national consultations with public and private-sector stakeholders. The consultations were intended to obtain views on the scope, policies and mechanisms for coordinating and implementing disaster mitigation activities in Canada.
As a starting point for dialogue, a discussion paper provided a concept of disaster mitigation and a rationale for developing a mitigation strategy. The discussion questions were used to stimulate ideas and dialogue.
Please note that some of the following documents were published before Public Safety Canada (PS) was created in 2003. Thus they reflect the old departmental name, Office of Critical Infrastructure Protection and Emergency Preparedness (OCIPEP).
Emergency Management News Releases
The Government of Canada invests in crime prevention in Vancouver
February 22, 2024
Government of Canada announces assistance to Nova Scotia with recovery efforts following significant snow storm
February 6, 2024
Government of Canada launches targeted engagement on advancing a civilian response capacity in Canada
February 1, 2024
Emergency Management Publications and Reports
- Advancing the Federal-Provincial-Territorial Emergency Management Strategy: Areas for Action
- Evaluation of the Initiatives to Address Post-Traumatic Stress Injuries (PTSI) Evaluation Report
- Summary of the Evaluation of the Initiatives to Address Post-Traumatic Stress Injuries (PTSI) Among Public Safety Officers
- The First Public Report of the National Risk Profile
- The National Search and Rescue Secretariat 406 megahertz (MHz) Personal Locator Beacon
- Date modified: