Disaster Prevention and Mitigation
The ultimate purpose of emergency management is to save lives, preserve the environment and protect property and the economy. Emergency management is comprised of four interdependent risk-based functions: prevention/mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery. Mitigation provides a critical foundation for emergency management in Canada.
Disaster mitigation measures are those that eliminate or reduce the impacts and risks of hazards through proactive measures taken before an emergency or disaster occurs.
The Government of Canada, together with provincial and territorial governments, launched Canada's National Disaster Mitigation Strategy on January 9, 2008.
In June 2009, as part of its commitment to deliver on the Hyogo Framework for Action (HFA), Canada announced the establishment of a National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction to build multi-stakeholder coordinated leadership in Disaster Risk Reduction.
The NDMP fills a critical gap in Canada's ability to effectively mitigate, prepare for, respond to, and recover from, flood-related events by building a body of knowledge on flood risks in Canada, and investing in foundational flood mitigation activities.
The Task Force will examine options for low-cost residential flood insurance to residents of high risk areas. It will also consider options for potential relocation for residents of areas at the highest risk of recurrent flooding.
Emergency Management News Releases
Minister Sajjan reaffirms support to the province of Manitoba to respond and recover from disasters
November 15, 2023
Minister Sajjan marks the International Day on Disaster Risk Reduction
October 13, 2023
Statement by Minister Sajjan on Fire Prevention Week
October 7, 2023
Emergency Management Publications and Reports
- Evaluation of the Initiatives to Address Post-Traumatic Stress Injuries (PTSI) Evaluation Report
- Summary of the Evaluation of the Initiatives to Address Post-Traumatic Stress Injuries (PTSI) Among Public Safety Officers
- The First Public Report of the National Risk Profile
- The National Search and Rescue Secretariat 406 megahertz (MHz) Personal Locator Beacon
- Canada’s Midterm Review of the Implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030
- Date modified: